Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Boys Prepare for Halloween!


We’ve been busily preparing for Halloween – the kids are SO excited! We've hit the pumpkin patch in the pouring rain, and carved up some spooky jack-o-lanterns. Jack is going to be a Jack in the Box, and Ethan is Chef Linguini from the movie Ratatouille. Every morning the first thing Ethan says is “5 days until Halloween” etc. What a huge bummer it’s going to be for them when I confiscate all the candy! We usually have to take half of his candy away because of the peanut thing, then we stash the other half and dole out one piece every now and then. Before long, incredibly they forget about the candy and all leftover stuff goes into the Treat Box. The Treat Box then only comes out on special occasions and we add Christmas candy and then Easter candy, and various goodie bag candy before I purge it midsummer. I just tossed all last year’s Halloween leftovers!

The speaker I went to last week suggested that one of the main problems with raising boys is not talking to them regularly about sex. He said to start a weekly tradition of asking them “what questions to do you have about sex this week?” At the age our boys are at, he said the appropriate question would be “what questions do you have about your bodies this week?” So I thought I’d try it out in the car on the way home from school today. Ethan was very excited to ask his first question and here it is: “How many beats does your heart beat in a minute?” It’s not exactly what I was expecting, but okay. Ethan swears it’s 3, for the record.

After the pouring rain last weekend, we have had a beautiful fall week. It's been cold, but we've had sunny days and we've actually got back outside for walks and playtime. I love the colours of the leaves and we have a new chant as we walk through the leaves: "Rustle, crackle, crunch. Rustle, crackle, crunch." Alas, as per usual, the boys catch on to something and repeat it to the point you wish you'd never said anything. I now will avoid leaf-lined streets for a while until they forget the little chant.

Jack and I were watching Ethan’s swimming lesson last week. He was sitting on my lap singing – honestly, I wasn’t really paying attention to what he was saying. All of a sudden the lady next to me started choking on her muffin. I was alarmed and I asked if she was ok. She said “Yes, but WHAT did your son say?” He was singing this song he had learned at preschool:
Photosynthesis, photosynthesis
Carbon dioxide, water and light!
Photosynthesis, photosynthesis
Add a green leaf and cook it just right!
He was all wrapped in a towel since he’d just finished his own lesson and he looked about 2 years old, tops. So when I realized what he was singing I started to laugh and said “I just love his preschool!” She said “Uh, yeah, I would too!”

Jack’s preschool is a Christian one, so he’s become quite interested in all things pertaining to God. So much so, in fact, that he has named a favourite car “God” and his navy and white blanket must now be referred to as “God blanket”. During a recent discussion with my friend about what teddy bears etc. our kids take to bed, Jack pipes up with “I sleep with God!” Ah yes.

I got to see my friend Nancy this weekend. They were evacuated from their home in San Diego due to the wildfires, and so she and the kids came home to her parents’ place in Langley to wait it out. Troy stayed in the San Diego area, but out of the path of the fires. Thankfully, they have now been repopulated and their house is safe. I was also happy for the fact that Nancy, me and Jen got to spend a few hours catching up on Friday night – it’s been ages!

That’s it for tonight, Mount Laundry is calling my name!

No comments: