Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Deep Thoughts

On the way home from work today, I was idly watching the man in front of me on the bus clean his ears. And by “idly”, I mean staring with my mouth open and a twisted snarl of disgust on my face. Moments like this can be earth-shattering, you know? As in “what’s wrong with my life, that I have to be HERE, right now, watching three, then four, fingertips get coated in ear wax, carefully examined, then disappear beneath the seat to get wiped clean somewhere I’d better try to remember the next time I take the #345.” I’d just like to point out that, as previously blogged, I have witnessed booger-picking and wiping onto bus wall, fingernail clipping, and now ear wax removal. From BOTH his ears, no less. I am TRYING to stay committed to transit, but WHY do you people make it so HARD?
-----------------------------
Can anyone FREAKIN’ read this? I can NEVER read these things and I see them more and more. Every site has these to avoid spammers or automated somethings and I just have to say – this moron here cannot DO these things.
PS I got it wrong.
-----------------------------
Mike woke up the other morning to a bare-assed Jack sitting on his bare back. Then Jack said “There you go, have a nice day” which meant he’d just farted. Nice. But I laughed because it wasn’t on me.
-----------------------------
I was feeling glum the other day and I laid down with Ethan for a moment after I’d read their bedtime story. He was falling asleep, with his back to me, and he whispered, “You know you can always talk to me if you’re feeling sad, Mummy.” Which of course made it impossible to talk through the lump in my throat.
-----------------------------
I got really sick of doing the Thursday Thirteen and the Friday Fill-Ins so I am on hiatus. I started doing them as an extra couple of posts per week, and then they became the crutch that WAS the post for the week and I lost focus on everything else that was important that I wanted to write about. I’ll probably still do them from time to time, though...
-----------------------------
It’s been SO long since I actually wrote about our family. Both Jack and Ethan are firmly entrenched in their school routines and loving it. I mean, REALLY loving it.

Mike’s birthday has come and gone – not much fanfare this year, really. But the ice cream cake lasted a nice long time. Mike’s grandfather has also been visiting from Florida, so we have all spent some time together in the past week or so. I have tried really hard to tone the boys down a little in honour of his visit, but the truth is that they are animals and I cannot contain them.
-----------------------------
Last weekend was a glorious Vancouver weekend. Trev and Shanty called us Saturday morning to invite us boating with them and Lori. It was so beautiful and such a great way to spend the afternoon. I mean, for everyone except seasick me. I stayed on dry land while everyone else rode the waves (Jack was driving for a time – too adorable). They had to rendez-vous with me at the dock a short while after hitting the open water. Turns out Ethan’s not a sailor, either... so us land-lubbers had lunch and strolled around Granville Island. Still a pretty great way to spend the day!
The next morning, Kim and Gene called to say their pool was open if we wanted one last hurrah before the weather turns. Of course we took them up on it and had a relaxing afternoon lounging poolside. Pizza for dinner and Kim’s homemade pie for dessert. Ahhh...
-----------------------------
My finger is aching now which means we have about 36-48 hours of nice weather before the rain hits. (Have I never told you about my weather finger? Remind me next time...) So I plan on enjoying the sun tomorrow. From the dentist’s chair, anyway. Wish me luck with my filling!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

It's so true, you do get into a Thursday 13 or Friday Fill Ins rut, I've been striving for 1 other non-easy post a week beside that, but it's hard.