Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Reading is Sexy

I got tagged in a meme, so I hereby present to you: Reading is Sexy

Rules: Pass it on to five other bloggers, and tell them to open the nearest book to page 46. Write out the fifth sentence on that page, and also the next two to five sentences. The closest book, not the coolest, or the one you think will sound the best. THE CLOSEST.

So I honestly did this and grabbed the closest book – a book I really enjoyed called Water For Elephants. Turns out that sentences 5 – 10 of page 46 are kind of dirty birdie and I simply cannot reproduce them here. It’s the only part of the whole book that is like that! So instead I opened the book at random and here are sentences 5-10 from page 179:

She has learned to follow August from the elephant car to the menagerie tent, and in return for this he has stopped beating the hell out of her. Instead, she trudges alongside him, and he walks with the bull hook snagged firmly in the flesh behind her front leg. Once in the menagerie, she stands behind her rope, happily charming the crowds and accepting candy. Uncle Al hasn’t actually said so, but there don’t appear to be any immediate plans to attempt another elephant act.
As the days pass I grow more anxious about Marlena. Each time I approach the cookhouse I hope that I’ll find her there. And each time I don’t, my heart sinks.

From Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

No comments: