Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #5

13 Songs You Will Have in Your Head All Day

  1. “Can’t Get You Out of My Head” – Kylie Minogue
    Sing it with me: “LA la la, la la lala la, la la la, lala la la la.” Yippee - now it’s in YOUR head too! I so admire Kylie for the white pantsuit. Wow, she could sure pull it off. We had a weekly movie night while living in LA, and I remember one week we hadn’t pressed play yet and this video came on. Conversation ceased altogether – four men sat speechless, drooling at the screen. Go, Kylie, go.
  2. “I Love You” – Barney the giant purple dinosaur
    We have stayed true to our word. When I was pregnant with Ethan, Mike and I made a vow that we would never allow any Barney watching or listening in our house. Ever. And we have never broken that vow. Is it so wrong to vehemently hate something that is supposed to be such a good guy? I do.
  3. “Rico Suave” – Gerardo
    Sshhh. Don’t tell anyone, but Mike has this CD. He “claims” an ex-girlfriend bought it for him years ago. These lyrics are too awesome not to post here: “My only addiction has to do with the female species/I eat 'em raw like sushi” and “There's not a woman that can handle a man like me/That's why I juggle two or three”. The song is in Spanglish and the Spanish parts are pretty hilarious too. A bunch of stuff about taking him home to mama. Awesome.
  4. “Wake Me Up Before You Go Go” – Wham
    This song has always been FUN. Remember the video, with George Michael and Andrew Ridgely boppin’ around in those short striped shorts? Why was it such a shock to me when I found out George Michael was gay? (PS Not that there’s anything WRONG with that) I’m so glad the intelligent songwriters got together for this one. Otherwise I would have never known that you could rhyme “go go” with “yo yo”. Genius.
  5. “Baby Got Back” – Sir Mix-a-Lot
    This is the only song that has had me slapping my own ass in a dance club. And possibly other people’s asses too; that part’s a little foggy. I loved the fact that baby Emma on Friends would only stop crying when they sang this song to her. “I like BIG BUTTS and I cannot lie.” Made me feel better about singing non-traditional lullabies to the boys. I would choose songs I knew the words to rather than dumb ol’ “mama’s gonna buy you a mockingbird”. That one I usually made up the end anyway because I couldn’t remember what came after horse and cart. At least I could sing the whole of “Hard Day’s Night” or “Lose Yourself”. Although in retrospect maybe Eminem was not the most wholesome choice.
  6. “Oh Yeah” – Yello (from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off)
    This was awesome. “Chicka chick-ahhhh. Nee-urh BOMP BOMP.” I don’t think there were too many real words except “Beautiful”. I loved Ferris Bueller and loved it even more for including the Beatles song “Twist and Shout”. I had been a Beatles fan already forever when this came out, and finally other people were singing it. I was almost cool for a second.
  7. “Wannabe” – Spice Girls
    What is this ABOUT? “If you wannabe my lover, you gotta get with my friends”???? Yeah, I don’t THINK so. If you get with my friends I ain’t coming near you. I’m just sayin’. Zigazig-ah.
  8. “Tubthumping” – Chumbawamba
    This song makes anybody who sings along say the word “up” like my Liverpudlian relatives say it – more like “oop”. I get knocked down, but I get oop again...
  9. “What is Love” - Haddaway (from A Night at the Roxbury)
    Did your head just twitch a little? Go on, admit it. Baby, don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me no more.
  10. “...Baby One More Time” – Britney Spears
    Still the best Britney song ever (which is saying SSOOOO much, I know). Way before she became a train wreck.
  11. “Tequila” – The Champs
    The boys bought me a birthday card that plays this song. They chose it because of the singing worm, although the text of the card is about partying with tequila, not so appropriate coming from 4 and 5 year-olds... I opened it while Gene and Kim, Aaron and Marzia were over and EVERY single one of them started grooving to the tune immediately. Didja know that the only lyric to this song is the word “Tequila”? And that it is played three times in the song? And that nobody can dance to it as awesome as PeeWee Herman?
  12. “Who Let the Dogs Out” – Baha Men
    Who? Who? Who? Who? As in, who the hell approved this song for general release? And also, who authorized every sports stadium to play it ad infinitum?
  13. “Mambo No. 5” – Lou Bega
    This takes me back to our LA days again. I admit it; there was a little part of me that wished I was named Monica, Erica, Rita, Tina, Sandra, Mary or Jessica just so I could have my very own place in the song. I think I would have preferred to be Sandra, ‘cause she just got to be in the sun and hang out. Although Mary could go all night long.

I hope I have helped you clear out any valid and/or rational thoughts you may have had in your head, replacing them with any combination of these songs to drive you insane for the next few hours/days/weeks. You’re welcome.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I must confess my head did start bobbing before I even finished reading that entry for number 9. Also, I vividly remember your confession of being a closet Britney Spears fan, and I still remember my shock. And also, I sang Baby Got Back to Chris, and it worked. It's the modern era's lullaby.